Saturday, January 17, 2009

Butter Chicken

I went out to dinner with some of the girls from work , actually we were going to see a movie so went to an Indian restaurant beforehand.  When they liked the butter chicken I told them I had been given an authentic recipe from a spice shop owner (Lotus) who had owned a couple of Indian restaurants.

I had wanted the recipe as when I took my children (now teens) out to dinner and they had Butter Chicken they woofed it down and nearly licked their plates!

I am a very versatile and not a bad cook but they didn't even eat their favourites at home like that and dinner time was often a long and laborious pain in the rear.  So here is the recipe - first time I cooked it the kids LOVED it and said it was as good as or BETTER than the restaurant. Ha!

BUTTER CHICKEN

500gms chicken thighs chopped into chunks
2 tbsp tandoori paste (from Indian shop - not supermarket)
2 cloves garlic
tandoori colour powder (from Indian shop)
200gms whipped plain yoghurt

Mix all together in bowl

1 onion sliced into slivers (wedges in quarters)
100gm butter
100ml cream
olive oil

Fry onion in oil
scoop chicken out of yoghurt sauce and fry with onion
when cooked (couple of mins in a wok is good) pour in rest of yoghurt sauce, throw in butter, pour in cream - fry stirring a few minutes to reduce sauce then pour all into shallow oven dish and cook on 210C for at least 5 mins at top of oven until parts of chicken blacken. Then your butter chicken is ready.

Enjoy! with basmati saffron rice and rotis








No comments:

Post a Comment