Saturday, January 24, 2009

Shared Recipes

A little while ago I received an email with a recipe in it and two names/email addresses at the top.  I was instructed to move the number two name to number one and place myself at number two.  Then send my all time favourite recipe to the number one on the list and twenty of my friends with the same instructions.

So I did

I got three replies (I think it was calculated I would get 33).  Anyway two were from New Zealand and were for the same 'diabetic' fruit cake recipe and one from my divine cousin George in London was a fish stew which we will be trying out - I like the easy/quick recipes!

So although I cannot absolutely vouch for their success by my sampling - as I haven't yet - I can simply because of their sources! Thanks Thelly, Betty and George!

DIABETIC FRUIT CAKE
1kg  mixed dried fruit
2 cups orange juice or black coffee
2 cups self raising flour
1 teasp cinnamon

Place fruit in bowl. Pour juice/coffee over and leave overnight. Then stir in flour and cinnamon.  Cook in 23cm tin for 3/4 to 1 hour in 180deg.C oven
Test with skewer - comes out clean when cooked.

You can add 1tbsp sherry/Cointreau/Grand Marnier to the juice to spice it up


... hmmmm must try this one - the only Christmas cake I ever knew was my mum's boiled one and she emptied the dregs of her grog cabinet into the mix every year.


CHEATS MEDITERRANEAN FISH STEW - about 40 mins
(some call it fish soup)
1 onion finely chopped
white wine - about a glass - more or less
olive oil
crushed garlic
herbs, de provence or parsley
passata ( sieved tomatoes )
water if needed
lemon or honey (optional)
potatoes, small new or large peeled and cut into chunks
mix of fish (marinara mix)

Saute onions in large pan till transparent then add garlic - stir. Add wine increase heat until onions absorb most of the wine. Add herbs and passats (tomatoes), increase heat and add potatoes and water if needed. Put lid on pan and cook until potatoes done, taste, add lemon or honey then add chopped fish/prawns/etc. Serve.

I will be thinking of my beautiful cousins when I try this. Cath, George and Carmela just spent Christmas 2008 in France with their step brother Tony and as they indulged in seafood there I'm thinking that's what inspired George to give me her recipe!





No comments:

Post a Comment